It's important to understand what mold is and where it thrives. Every kind of mold is a fungus, just like mushrooms and lichens, for example. The mold that is toxic to people is relatively rare in the fungus world, meaning most kinds aren't harmful. However, some molds are dangerous, so any mold you find indoors must be cleaned up and completely removed.
The rule of thumb is to contact a mold remediation contractor Mission Viejo CA company to clear the mold if it is more than 9 square feet.in area. If you see mold growth, there is probably hidden mold behind walls, in attics and elsewhere.
Before you contact mold damage repair technicians, the first step is to stop the mold from getting worse. Turn off any ventilation. Next, work to halt the moisture source that supplied the mold in the first place. Make sure damaged roofs are no longer flowing into your house or business and restrict the flow of any rainwater that has gotten into your basement. The next step is to contain the problem in as small an area as possible. You might block off the area with disposable tarps, for instance.
Now, decide if you need to get mold damage removal help. Consider not only the mold area, but also any aggravating health issues you may have. Allergy or asthma sufferers who struggle to breathe, for example, should not perform mold removal activities.
Once you've decided, there are vital things to do in either direction. To finish the mold removal damage yourself, pick up supplies such as long mold-approved gloves, coveralls and a mold-safe mask and sealed eye protection. You will probably also need a throwaway tarp and tools to repair drywall, if that's where you found the mold. Experts agree that you should not leave drywall that has mold on it anywhere you find it because it can't be cleaned thoroughly. Whatever you do, don't clean with bleach, especially if you're dealing with a substantial mold repair situation. It's completely unsuccessful for soft surfaces, and only partially effective on hard surfaces. It's also dangerous because it can release fumes and should never be mixed with ammonia.
If you're concerned enough about mold damage to research, you will want certified a professional mold removal service. Don't hire a company focused in humid climates.
Before you select any expert, make sure that they are licensed and registered properly and that they are certified by organizations such as the Contractor Connection, Restoration Industry Association and the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration. You might also make sure the company knows and follows federal mold cleanup recommendations whether your mold is in a business or a residence.
Mold damage left to grow releases spores, which act like seeds and can harm your possessions in short order. If you don't, mold damage will continue to feast on your structure and can ruin your things. Some molds, those that release toxic spores, can also cause major health risks ranging from neurological damage to breathing problems and mold-related infections and generally poor health. Mycotoxins can be particularly dangerous for infants, children, and anyone with a compromised immune system such as people with AIDS/HIV or lupus.
The safest way to clean up your mold growth is to get professional mold removal assistance. Don't hesitate.